Paola Borella, Prof.
Affiliation and position:
Full Professor of Hygiene at the University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery with both teaching and research activities
- Relationship between trace elements and population health
- Toxic and essential elements in nutrition
- Selenium between essentially and toxicity
- Prevention and control of environmental contamination by chemicals and microbes
- Health promotion within general population and at risk groups
Key publications for the last 5 years:
- Bargellini A, Marchesi I, Righi E, Ferrari A, Cencetti S, Borella P, Rovesti S. Parameters predictive of legionella contamination in hot water systems: association with trace elements and heterotrophic plate counts. Water Research, 45(6):2315-21, 2011 (IF = 4,355)
- Marchesi I, Ferranti G, Bargellini A, Marchegiano P, Predieri G, Stout JE, Borella P. Monochloramine and chlorine dioxide for controlling Legionella pneumophila contamination: biocide levels and disinfection by-products (DBPs) formation in hospital water networks. J of Water Health, 2013 11(4):738-47.
- Vinceti M, Mandrioli J, Borella P, Michalke B, Tsatsakis A, Finkelstein Y.Selenium neurotoxicity in humans: Bridging laboratory and epidemiologic studies. Toxicol Lett. 2014 230: 295–303
- Casali ME, Borsari L, Marchesi I, Borella P, Bargellini A. Lifestyle and food habits changes after migration: a focus on immigrant women in Modena Italy. Ann Ig. 2015 Sep-Oct;27(5):748-59.
- Vinceti M, Burlingame B, Filippini T, Naska A, Bargellini A, Borella P. The epidemiology of Selenium and human health. In Selenium, its molecularbiology and role in human health IV Edition, Chapert 31, edHatfield DL, Schweizer U, Tsuji PA, Gladyshev VN ed. Springer 2016, pag. 365-376 , 2016
- Journal of Trace Elements in Medicine and Biology (Elsevier)
- Referee for many international Journal in the field of Public Health
- Independent expert for selection of research projects within National and Regional funds /li>
- Independent expert within the Horizon 2020 and COST in the evaluation procedure of research proposals on health promotion and disease prevention
- Member of the Italian Association of Hygiene and of the Regional section of Society of Hygiene years 2015-2016
- Past President of the Italian Association of Trace Elements (AISETIV)
- President of Federation of European Societies on Trace Elements and Minerals (FESTEM) 2016-2019
- Scientific Coordinator of the Italian Satellite Centre of Trace Element Institute for UNESCO, Rovaltain, Valence (France)
- Member of ESCMID Study Group for Legionella Infections (ESGLI)