Joel Caton, PhD
- 1982 B.S., Animal Science, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces
- 1983 M.S., Animal Science, University of Missouri, Columbia
- 1987 Ph.D., Major: Animal Science/Ruminant Nutrition; Minor: Biochemistry, Tool: Statistics, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces
Affiliation and position:
1988-present Assistant (’88-’94), Associate (’94-’00), and Full (’00-present) Professor, Ruminant Nutrition (80% Research, 20% Teaching), Department of Animal Sciences, North Dakota State University, Fargo
- Developmental Programming: Maternal and Offspring Outcomes
- Selenium Supplementation and Metabolism
- Trace Mineral Metabolism: Supply and Demand in Animals
- Protein Metabolism:
- Forage use in Grazing Animals
Key publications for the last 5 years:
- Reynolds, L. P., A. K. Ward, and J. S. Caton. 2016. Epigenetics and Developmental Programming in Ruminants – Long-Term Impacts on Growth and Development. In: Domestic Animal Biology (Scanes CG and Hill R, eds.), Science Publishers (an imprint of CRC Press/Taylor & Francis Group; http://www.scipub.net), Invited Review. In press.
- Crouse, M.S., K. J. McLean, M. R. Crosswhite, L. P. Reynolds, C. R. Dahlen, B. W. Neville, P. P. Borowicz, and J. S. Caton. 2016. Nutrient transporters in bovine uteroplacental tissues on days sixteen to fifty of gestation. J. Anim. Sci. 94:4738-4747. doi: 10.2527/jas.2016-0857.
- Meyer, A. M. and J. S. Caton. 2016. The role of the small intestine in developmental programming: Impact of maternal nutrition on the dam and offspring. Adv Nutr. 7:169-178. doi: 10.3945/an.115.010405. Invited Review.
- Vonnahme, K. A., C. O. Lemley, J. S. Caton, and A. M. Meyer. 2015. Impacts of maternal nutrition on vascularity of nutrient transferring tissues during gestation and lactation. Nutrients. 7:3497-3523; doi:10.3390/nu7053497. Invited Review.
- Reynolds L. P. and J. S. Caton. 2012. Role of the pre- and post-natal environment in developmental programming of health and productivity. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, Special Issue ‘Environment, Epigenetics and Reproduction,” MK Skinner (ed.). Mol Cell Endocrinol. 354:54-59. Invited review.
- Journal of Animal Science, Associate Editor-in Chief
- Biological Trace Element Research
- Journal of Nutrition
- British Journal of Nutrition
- Biology of Reproduction
- American Society of Animal Science
- International Society of Selenium Research
- European Association for Animal Production